Friday 25 March 2011

Call her Kareena Kapoor Khan!



She's been in the industry for a decade and is unquestionably the reigning queen of Bollywood. In an exclusive interview with Madhureeta Mukherjee, Kareena Kapoor talks about the Bollywood race, friends and foes, all the Khans, and the most special one. Read on... 

Many actresses of your league are not in the running, what keeps you on your toes? 
Kareena: My work is my passion. It's the only thing I have been doing for 365 days a year. I am proud to say that and I will probably act all my life.

Do you think the industry is gender biased? 
Women oriented films do well to a certain extent, but they do not give you super stardom. I balance it out with a full-blown masala flick like Golmaal 3. I really don't need to do an offbeat film to show my skills as an actor.

How far would you go for a role with Tom Cruise? 
I wouldn't go anywhere for him. I think Shah Rukh is our answer to Tom Cruise. For me he is bigger than Tom Cruise. And talking of Hollywood, I don't like doing things that I will not be able to do. To get a role there you have to give screen tests, park yourself there for about 7-8 months, and then maybe you'll get a two-bit role. I'd rather enjoy the best of Bollywood.

You keep calling Aamir the 'God of Acting'? Don't the other Khans feel offended? 
No. Both Saif and I are very close to Shah Rukh and we've been friends with him even before we were together. Shah Rukh's friendships start from Gauri, but I'm crazy about Aamir. I've been a huge fan since school and I've told him that. Obviously, there's a certain type of chemistry we share and I suited the character, which is the reason I've got the role opposite him. It's not because we are friends.

Do you see flashes of Aamir in Imran? 
I think Imran is new and raw. He's the dark horse of Bollywood. Both Saif and I have always liked Imran and we think he's the next superstar! He's a really sweet friend, but for me, Aamir is the best.

Everytime a newcomer is launched, she's pitted against you. 
It's high time for the media to stop comparing me with newcomers. They're just starting out and they're fresh. All I'm here to do is act and give it my best shot. I want to be focused and not bother about anything else.

There's been a war of words between Priyanka and you. Would you like to comment on that? 
I did say a few things about her, but that was just for fun. She took it seriously. I would definitely not call us 'friends', because friendship is a big word and I'd rather consider the people I have grown up with as my friends. I would definitely say that friendship is much beyond chatting at social events and parties."

Someday, would you like to be known as Kareena Kapoor Khan? 
Yes, of course. Every girl dreams of a lifetime of fulfilment and I'm no exception. Right now I'm at a great phase of my career, Saif understands and respects that. I've waited for this to happen ever since I was a child. So we aren't rushing into anything right now. Till then I'd like to be Kareena Kapoor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment