Wednesday 18 May 2011

Karan Johar takes a break from TV



Karan Johar loves the UK and the US. That is evident from his choice of locations for the films that he directs or produces. They are either set in those countries, or viewers are "cheated" into believing some of those locations are actually in India

For instance, the Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire, that served as the grand palatial Indian home of Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. But it does seem that KJo is partial when it comes to the UK, taking great pains to capture on celluloid its breathtaking beauty.

No wonder then, that Karan was chosen to be a global ambassador for tourism promotion in the UK. TOI caught up with the filmmaker, who was in the city to announce his latest association with his fave country.

"I'm here to talk about the UK, but I also noticed just how clean, beautiful and green Bangalore is. This is my second visit this year, and from what I saw, I think Bangalore is better than Mumbai," says Karan and adds, "I've been to the UK on holidays so many times, right from childhood. I'm not much of a countryside lover and prefer cities. Let's just say that I know London better than I do Mumbai."Karan will be canning his next directorial in the UK.

His love for all things English, though, is not limited to just his shooting locations. "The UK is the best place to indulge in retail therapy. My script writing sessions see me go there often and I've realised that the best way to get my creative juices flowing is to shop. I love to shop, so much so that everyone knows me at Selfridges," grins the filmmaker, who's also an avid fashion designer.

His next directorial, Student of the Year, will start rolling in July, which, says Karan, along with the two in-production films Agneepath and Stand by Me (tentative title) and three other projects, will keep him busy for the next couple of years. But why is he producing more often than directing? "When I make a film, I need to set aside at least a couple of years to get things right. I cannot devote time to any other subject that I feel passionate about. Production allows me to promote new talent, in terms of filmmakers and actors, and also dabble with genres that I, as a filmmaker might not do justice to," explains Karan.

And while he loved the catfights and controversies his television chat show generated, Karan refuses to be drawn into a conversation about why he chose Salman over good friend SRK for one of his projects. Reports suggest that Salman will play a pivotal role in Student of the Year. "The casting for that film is yet to be finalised," is all the filmmaker volunteers, but adds that he loved every moment of every catfight on his talk show. "It was marvellous. We just wrapped up the third season. I'm not sure if and when we will return with another season," he says. But won't it get repetitive and boring if he were to quiz the same Bollywood stars again? "Well, there are suggestions that I should speak to politicians," laughs Karan and adds, "But for the time being, I am taking a break from television."

If he is on a break, then what plans does he have for his birthday next week? "I turn 39 next week and I have no plans. I guess this is when the depression before you hit 40 sets in," he signs off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment