Tuesday 2 August 2011

Parvin Dabas turns director

 Ask him about his experience of direction and he says, "I had this story in my mind so I started working on it. It took me some two years as other projects were going on simultaneously. Some of its parts are in fact written while I was shooting for the film My Name Is Khan. And before I finished the script, I knew that I would have to direct this film", says Parvin who was in Ahmedabad for the promotion of his film Sahi Dhandhe Galat Bande. 
"I had started visualizing each scene and camera angles and everything, so we decided that it's better if I only direct it instead of giving my vision into someone else's hands". And to save themselves from the troubles and restrictions of outside producers and keep all the creative liberty in hands, Parvin and his wife (actress Preeti Jhangiyani) decided to start their own production house and produce this film on their own.

So how the director in him turned out to be? "Pretty organized" as he explains, "I had made a story board of the entire film. We also had a workshop for two weeks that included almost everyone in the cast. We had rehearsals before hand and we wanted to make sure that there aren't many discussions, debates and planning while the shooting is going on, which I always have felt from my experience to be waste of time, money and energy."

Did he always think of becoming a director? "I don't know about me but many around me had observed", Dabas replies earnestly, "You know, one day we were shooting for Khosla Ka Ghosla and I instinctively started arranging few things on set in a particular manner. Now Kiran Juneja (who plays his mother in the film) was noticing me and as I finished, she came to me and said 'Parvin, do you know you have a director in you'. When I made this movie, I went to her with a role and said, 'you were one of those people who had seen a director in me' and she happily agreed to play the part.

Parvin is a wonderful photographer and has won several national and international awards for his photography. He was around 11 years old when he had laid his hands on his father's regular camera for fun. "It has always been a passion. I am always finding chance to flee on my photography vacations and a hobby like this helps in surviving the crazy schedules and tight shifts of work," says Parvin.
Apart from photography, Parvin is craving for a vacation, also to spend some time with his newly born baby boy. The post production and publicity of his film is keeping him all busy but he is trying to catch his bit. "I try and spend whatever time I get with my child. Parenthood is amazing as everyone says, each second with your child is special. And you also rediscover the level of the respect that you have had for your own parents."
As Friendship's Day is coming closer, we ask, does he find a close friend in his life-partner. He nods with a smile, "Obviously, mine wasn't an arrange marriage after all! We share a good friendship. It's the reason why the making of our movie went on very smoothly. She took care of all the financial part and she understands me in the best way. We could discuss over things without getting into a debate and as we are friends, we hardly have an ego-issue."
And with that note he signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment